Diet and Dieting
Diet means the food and drinks consumed daily by both person and animal. So a healthy diet for a human is different from a healthy diet for animals.
Dieting is the practice of consuming food in such a controlled manner to achieve results such as to maintain, increase, or decrease the weight of the body. It can also be to prevent and treat diseases like obesity and diabetes.
Wellness and Wellness Strategies
Wellness is a state of being complete mental, physical, and social well-being, and not just the absence of diseases. It can also be said to be a dynamic process of change and growth.
For good health, the following wellness strategies should be adopted;
- Constantly check your cholesterol
- Watch your blood pressure
- Always watch your body mass index
- Keep your blood sugar level in check
- Completely quit smoking
- Get enough sleep
- Always go for health screening
What Is A Healthy Diet?
A healthy diet is that kind of food that helps to maintain or improve overall health. A healthy diet provides the essential nutrition needed by the body, such as micronutrients, fluid, macronutrients, and adequate calories.
A healthy diet may contain things like
- Whole grains
- Cereals (Maize, rice, wheat…etc)
- Legumes (Beans)
- Meat, fish, eggs, and milk
- It will have no sweetened beverages
- Little or no processed food.
Benefits Of Healthy Diet
The following are the benefits of having a healthy diet:
- Weight loss: Adopting a healthy diet can cause you to lose weight and have an expected healthy weight. Losing weight can help you reduce the risk of some chronic conditions associated with the obese such as
- Poor bone density
- Heart disease
- Diabetes management: Maintaining a healthy diet can help a person with diabetes to lose weight if required, manage blood glucose levels, maintain cholesterol and blood pressure at the targeted range and prevent or delay complications of diabetes.
It is necessary for people with diabetes to reduce their rate of taking foods with added sugar and salt. It is also advisable to avoid fried foods that are high in saturated and trans fat.
- Reduced risk of cancer: One of the major causes of obesity is an unhealthy diet. An obese person has a high chance of developing cancer. So to maintaining a healthy weight may reduce the risk. Foods rich in fruits and vegetables will help protect against cancer.
- Healthy bone and teeth: Eating diets that contain adequate calcium and magnesium will make you have strong bones and teeth. When the bones are kept healthy, it helps prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Good night sleep: Sleep apnea can disrupt sleep patterns. This can occur when the airways are always blocked when sleeping. It can mainly be caused by obesity, alcohol intake, and eating an unhealthy diet. A healthy diet will prevent sleep apnea and make you sleep well without interruption.
- Enhances mood: If you maintain a stable blood sugar level through adequate nutrition, it will help you feel better. This is because what you eat has an impact on the brain, and the brain regulates mood. A healthy diet can also help reduce stress.
How To Achieve A Healthy Lifestyle
- Eat more of foods that are rich in carbohydrates
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Eat different variety of foods
- Eat more of saturated fat
- Eat regularly but control the size of food
- Drink plenty fluids especially water
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Reduce the rate of salt and sugar intake
- Exercise frequently to burn calories
- Avoid peer pressure that makes you eat unhealthy food.
- Eat foods high in fiber such as beans, rice, eggs, etc.
- Cut down on alcohol intake
- Plan your meal weekly and strictly stick to it.
- Do not substitute food for supplements
- Get started today.
Conclusively, it’s difficult to break a bad habit, but a decision to adopt a healthier lifestyle will keep your health on the right track.
When you adopt a healthy lifestyle, it will reduce the risk of certain diseases, boost your energy level, and improve both your physical and mental health.
Don’t expect to see the changes overnight, all you need is get started and a firm decision not to break your laid down rules, be patient and take it one step at a time, then you will be wowed at the result achieved.